How Physical Fitness Changes Your Life

By Karl Radl

It feels strange to write this because as recently as a few months ago, I didn’t feel very fit. My body felt oversized and clumsy. I was overweight, and I’d let my already desultory gym routine sag so much as to be inconsequential. My stomach was beginning to significantly distend again from too many hours of reading and writing, which is a very real hazard in my chosen profession.

Then, I remembered my wife’s words to me many years ago about how people often have a bad habit of making fundamentally childlike decisions with regard to their own bodies while at the same time trying to make adult decisions in their every day jobs.

I knew I had to change my body to make it reflect my ideals, as well as the fact that I have healthy mind.

The Victorian adage that a ‘healthy body reflects a healthy mind’ is actually very true. No more obvious proof of that is offered in the obnoxious clique of internet atheists and self-described sceptics – in reality pseudo-sceptics - are almost without exception both morbidly obese and mental midgets.

That is not to say I haven’t met theists who are the same way, but rather that this particular clique of atheists are notable for both being morbidly obese and so obnoxious that they in many respects parallel the ‘fat acceptance’ crowd among social justice warriors.

The fact that their arguments come almost without exception from simply reading Daniel Dennett and Richard Dawkins and are thus not very original has not apparently dawned on them. Instead they believe – for reasons that I know not – that they would be members of MENSA if only they could be bothered to take the test.

And that’s the nub of the issue, isn’t it?

They cannot be bothered to sit MENSA’s required IQ test.

The fact that they might potentially pass it and thus gain the associated bragging rights – as The Golden One did when he published his medically-tested testosterone levels online – is not sufficient inducement for them to actually get off their rotund buttocks and do something about it.

Whether this is an instance of the mind following the body or vice versa doesn’t really matter.

What matters is that, generally speaking, if you have a healthy body you will have a healthy mind.

This assumes, of course, that you have no other issues. While most of us have other personal problems – whether they are injuries, mental illness, disease or genetic conditions we have to deal with – being physically fit really helps you to cope.

To give an example: I am naturally low tone, have very low spatial awareness and am a high-functioning Aspie (i.e. someone with Asperger’s Syndrome or is high-functioning on the Autism Spectrum).

Not exactly a typical Chad type.

Yet, I have noticed a real difference since I began going to the gym on a daily basis. I am very motivated to get out of bed every morning, want to be actively doing something every minute of the day, my spatial awareness has gotten better and my biceps are increasingly looking like apples rather than bananas.

My concern about my own appearance has largely disappeared and I am not afraid to wear tight-fighting clothes. It isn’t just a simple testosterone and ego boost either. You start to notice that women have suddenly started paying attention to you and you feel great about yourself. Your fear and worried self-awareness about what people think just disappears as you realise that all your hard work – all those early mornings in the temple of iron while other men snore in their beds – has paid off.

People no longer look at you as the ‘fat guy’ or the ‘chubby guy’ and they instead begin to see you as a desirable person and also the kind of person they’d really like to give that promotion to.

Your work ethic also improves as you feel like if you can change your body then you can do anything. I was always a hard worker, but now in my increasingly fit body that I can work faster and even harder than ever.

And you know what? It doesn’t tire me near as much.

Being physically fit is great.

Why not try it?

Original article

It really is sad to be regressing that hard when things haven’t been as awful like they are today barely a generation ago.